Sunday 19 October 2008

A light in the tunnel

First there is a big, heavy door. I need to use all the strength of my arms to open it. The moment it opens, a strange wind pulls me inside. When the door shuts, the wind stops. Sometimes, if I want to walk against it, I feel like turning around and letting it carry me away. This wind blows through its own tunnels, it appears and dissapears. Sometimes it breaks through to the surface and lifts up the skirts of careless girls.

And then everything happens very quickly. A ticket, a direction, an escalator, people, a platform. And at last, unfailing, always on time, a train arrives. A marvellous caterpillar. An underground solution not from this planet. A magical capsule of spacetime.

I’m at one of the 231 stations of the metro. On one of the 12 lines. On one of the 282 kilometres. On one of the threads of a huge city spider’s web. I get on and float. There are no sudden turns, there are no raging bus drivers who, stressed by traffic, take it out using their brakes. I float and think about the haste that is above me. About the heat that I’m taking a rest from. About the rain that I’m avoiding. About the traffic jams that aren’t stopping me. About the stress that is evading me. About the city noise that I can’t hear. And about the fact that while I’m gliding like this tens of metres underground, I’m blissfully unavailable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqfbvYbSImA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUuUw5rsouA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlqRMhU_xgQ

No comments: